Vladikavkaz

Urban district Vladikavkaz, with the total area of 291 km2 and population of 315,608 people, is formed by the city of Vladikavkaz and the surrounding territories. Vladikavkaz is the capital of the Republic. Here, the majority of government institutions, leading financial structures, railway stations, majority of public service facilities, large hospitals, and educational institutions are located.

Vladikavkaz, the capital of the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania, was founded in 1784 by Count General-Lieutenant P. Potemkin during the reign of Catherine the Great, as an outpost of Russia on its southern borders.

The emblem of Vladikavkaz depicts golden gates of the fortress and a key with a special slot in the form of a cross indicating that it is only possible to open the gates to Transcaucasia with the key of Faith and Trust. In 1774, Ossetia voluntarily joined Russia and during all the years of shared history has never violated the established union keeping its word of friendship.

The history of Vladikavkaz is inseparable from the general history of Ossetia and Russia. Joining to Russia opened a new stage in the history of the Ossetian people and was understood by the people as a national need, which is destined to live long.

There are dates, which cannot be affected either by time, or by political changes. That is why on the day of celebration of the 61st anniversary of the Great Victory, the President of the Russian Federation signed the Federal Law of the Russian Federation about granting the city the honorary title of “The City of Military Glory.”

Located in the picturesque spurs of the Main Caucasus Ridge, Vladikavkaz became the gateway on the way to Transcaucasia. Here, the Georgian Military and the Ossetian Military Roads begin. That is why the city has quickly gained its commercial importance. Rapid development of Vladikavkaz was advanced by construction of the railway that connected it with Rostov-on-Don.

Today Vladikavkaz is a major industrial, scientific and cultural center of the South of Russia. The population of the city, according to the last census, is 331,500 people (47% of the population of the Republic). The basis of its industrial potential is constituted by non-ferrous metallurgy, electronics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, glass and food industries.